Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I am a punk rock dad

Once upon a time, I went to punk rock shows almost weekly.  I lived ten minuted away from one of the most popular underground venues of the 1990s and 2000s.  I started several failed attempts at bands, wrote angry punk rock songs and questioned authority.

Seventeen years later I am the authority.

I am now a teacher and a father of two. I live for my newborn daughter and my nearly two year old son. I haven't been to a show in as long as I can remember, but that doesn't mean I still don''t love underground rock. I just understand right now my kids need me.  I'm not a kid, I'm a man.

I teach the kids in my classroom and in my home to question what they are told, not taking everything at face value understand WHY something is so.  I promote learning because without it, people don't stop to think.

Punk Rock is not a style, it is a state of mind, an attitude, a thought process and a lifestyle, with or without the bondage pants. I am a punk rock dad.  These are my stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment